Sukhasana is one of the most straightforward and most relaxing yoga postures. It is also referred to as Easy Pose.
In this article,
- Benefits of Sukhasana Or Easy Pose
- Steps to do Sukhasana Or Easy Pose
- Modifications to Sukhasana
- If you are new to yoga, then Sukhasana is a good place to start
- Both Sukhasana and Easy Pose refer to the same asana
- Frequently Asked Questions on Sukhasana
Sukhasana is one of the easiest asanas and can be done by beginners to help them gain confidence in performing other yoga poses. It is a great place to start and It is the first step in learning about yoga.
Easy pose is where we know about the basics of yoga and how important it is to breathe correctly, meditate and concentrate on your body.
If you want to meditate or do pranayama (breathing exercises), you must practice Sukhasana first because it is one of the best postures for meditation and pranayama.
Benefits of Sukhasana Or Easy Pose:
The benefits of Sukhasana are many. It helps in improving your breathing, helps you stay focused on your breathing, and improve digestion. A few more are listed below,
- If you’re able to sit in the pose comfortably, Easy Pose could be calming and relaxing.
- Sukhasana is one of the hip-opening poses that stretches the knees and ankles. It also strengthens the back.
- It stretches and Lengthening your spine.
- Sukhasana broadens your collarbones and chest.
Steps to do Sukhasana Or Easy Pose:
- Sit on a Yoga mat or on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you.
- Bend your right leg under the opposite thigh and then your left leg to come into a cross-legged position.
- Sit erect, and keep your head, neck and trunk aligned in a straight line.
- Put your hands on your knees in Chin Mudra
Modifications to Sukhasana:
Sukhasana can be done in a sitting position with your legs outstretched in front of you if you find it uncomfortable sitting cross-legged
If you find it uncomfortable sitting cross-legged, you can sit on a cushion or folded blanket. You can also use a chair if that works better for you. If sitting on your knees is more comfortable, this is fine too! Sitting on a yoga mat will keep your body aligned and prevent pain in the knees as well.
If you are new to yoga, then Sukhasana is a good place to start
The pose is easy and relaxing, which makes it a great option for beginners. It’s also a good posture to start with, as it allows you to focus on your breathing and get comfortable with the rhythm of your practice.
Both Sukhasana and Easy Pose refer to the same asana
While it may seem like there’s some confusion surrounding the name of this pose, the fact is that there isn’t. The Sanskrit name for the asana is Sukhasana, while its English equivalent is Easy Pose. Both names refer to the same asana.
Both Sukhasana and Easy Pose have been said to have come from a description of a monk sitting in meditation with his back straight and legs crossed. This particular posture was called Sukha because it was described as being a state of happiness and peace, or sukham (Hindi).
Frequently Asked Questions on Sukhasana:
What are the benefits of Sukhasana?
Sukhasana has a relaxing effect on the mind and body which is helpful in reducing stress and anxiety. Visit to know more.
What is Sukhasana?
Sukhasana also referred to as easy pose, is a yoga pose performed in a seated position. Visit to know more.