Surya Namaskar, known as Sun Salutation in English is the most popular form of exercise that has positive benefits on the whole body. It’s not an aerobic exercise where we focus majorly on the body and slightly on the mind, It is a form of exercise that helps in bringing body and mind together.
Regular practice of Surya Namaskar benefits the functioning of the throat, lungs, chest, heart, liver, stomach, legs & Etc. To say it in a sentence, Surya Namaskar is a complete body workout that benefits the functioning of the entire vital organs of the body.
In addition to the benefits of Surya Namaskar on the body, The synchronization of the Surya Namaskar sequence of poses and breathing helps in reducing stress and increasing self-awareness. Let’s understand the benefits of Surya Namaskar in detail.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar:
- Practicing Surya Namaskar early in the morning helps in improving your physical and mental energy along with 6 other key benefits
- Practicing Surya Namaskar during student life helps in increasing concentration, focus and more
- Helps in Reduction of Stomach Fat
- Boosts Fitness Level
- Improves Cardio-Respiratory Fitness
- Surya Namaskar Aids Weight Loss By Burning Calories
- Helps in improving eyesight
- Benefits the muscles of the heart and helps in making the heartbeat regular
- Benefits in stimulating the production of digestive fire
- Helps in increasing lung capacity
- Increases the cellular function and vitality of the brain
- Surya Namaskar benefits female in Increasing the Chances of Natural Childbirth, Regulation Menstrual Cycle & More
- Helps in eliminating all the causes of infertility in men
Benefits of Surya Namaskar Practice Early In The Morning:
Have you listened to your parents saying,
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.Benjamin Franklin, American investor
Yes, that’s right. Waking up early has surprising benefits on your body and mind. By waking up early and going to bed on time, you create a natural pattern of sleep that helps your body in maintaining the proper functioning of all the vital organs.
Once you wake up early, start practicing Surya Namaskar to imbibe additional benefits of waking up early. Practicing Surya Namaskar or any form of exercise early in the morning has numerous benefits on the wellness of your body and mind. Surya Namaskar helps you welcome the day by praying to the Lord Sun.
7 Key Benefits of Surya Namaskar Practice Early In the Morning:
- Practicing Surya Namaskar early in the morning helps in improving your physical and mental energy
- The daily practice of Surya Namaskar early in the morning helps you get rid of poor posture-related muscular and joint pain
- Waking up early and practicing Surya Namaskar every day, benefits in enhancing your personal discipline
- Regular practice of Surya Namaskar can benefit you with a natural glowing and younger-looking skin
- Practicing Surya Namaskar in early morning sunrise helps in the natural production of Vitamin D or the Sunshine Vitamin which is a vital component for the development of bones and teeth
- It helps in increasing the metabolism of the body, thereby helping in weight loss
- Practicing Surya Namaskar early in the morning and before breakfast, helps in fat reduction and cholesterol control
Benefits of Surya Namaskar for Students & Children:
Student life is certainly the most crucial stage in a person’s life. The future of an individual depends on the quality of student life.
Practicing Surya Namaskar during student life has below-mentioned 5 benefits,
- Surya Namaskar helps in increasing concentration and focus
- It helps in enhancing memory and cognitive thinking capabilities
- Surya Namaskar is a perfect exercise for stretching your whole body. Stretching helps in the production of Endorphins that elevates your mood and reduces anxiety
- A study by Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana, Bangalore, India proves that Surya Namaskar helps in improving scholastic performance in school children
- Surya Namaskar helps in getting rid of sleepiness by increasing the levels of melatonin by absorbing the sunlight when practiced outdoors in early morning
Benefits of Surya Namaskar as an exercise:
Reduction of Stomach Fat:
When 12 steps of Surya namaskar are practiced regularly at a fast pace, it helps in stretching the abdominal muscles assisting you in reducing weight around the stomach area
Boosts Fitness Level:
12 postures of Surya Namaskar sequence helps in stretching, strengthening, and boosting the fitness levels of the body. Step 6 of Surya Namaskar, The Ashtanga Namaskar works on the wrist joints, Step 3 of Surya Namaskar, the Hasta Padasana makes the hips flexible and Stretches the hamstrings
Improves Cardio-Respiratory Fitness:
A Study proves practicing of 4 four rounds of Surya Namaskar Regularly would maintain or improve cardiorespiratory fitness
Surya Namaskar Aids Weight Loss By Burning Calories:
Various research has been carried out and it has been shown that one round of Surya namaskar benefits in the burning of 14 calories. One round of Surya Namaskar takes about 3.5 minutes to complete at a normal pace
Please Note: Calories burnt varies from person to person. It depends on the person’s body weight and other attributes
Benefits of Surya Namaskar on Organs of the Body:
Benefits of Surya Namaskar for Eyes:
While practicing Surya Namaskar early in the morning, keeping our eyes wide open at the rising sun and closing the eyes when the sun rises completely helps in improving eyesight. This process is popularly called as “Sun Gazing”. Surya Namaskar helps in normalizing the blood supply to various organs of your body including the eyes.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar on Heart:
Surya Namaskar helps in balancing the blood pressure naturally. The 12 step Surya Namaskar sequence benefits the muscles of the heart and helps in making the heartbeat regular.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar on Stomach:
During the 12 steps of Surya Namaskar, we would alternatively compress and decompress the muscles of the abdomen. This helps in stimulating the production of digestive fire that helps in solving constipation, irregular bowel movement & other digestion related problems.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar on Lungs:
While practicing the 12 steps of Surya Namaskar, we focus on breathing while changing from one pose to another. This helps in increasing lung capacity.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar on Human Brain:
Surya Namaskar helps in increasing the oxygen content in the blood which in turn increases the cellular function and vitality of the brain. Step 1 of Surya Namaskar – the Pranamasana, helps in balancing the left and right hemispheres of the brain.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar For Female:
Along with the above-mentioned benefits of Surya Namaskar, below are a few additional benefits that a woman – the most powerful being in the universe practicing Surya Namaskar would receive,
- Surya Namaskar helps in stimulates the Ovaries & Uterus
- Helps in Regulation Menstrual Cycle: Surya Namaskar is wonderfully beneficial for women having irregular menstrual cycles.
- Increases the Chances of Natural Childbirth: Surya Namaskar balances the female hormones and thereby increases the chances of having a natural childbirth. Daily practice of 12 Steps of Surya Namaskar helps in easy and smooth childbirth
- Suya Namaskar helps in correcting Internal flaws related to the malfunctioning of sexual glands
Benefits of Surya Namaskar For Male:
In the recent past, due to an unhealthy lifestyle and bad habits, reproductive problems along with infertility in male is very common.
Surya Namaskar, also known as Ultimate Asana is a full-body exercise that focusses on strongly balancing mind & body. Surya Namaskar postures can effectively help in eliminating all the causes of infertility in men.
- Step 5 of Surya Namaskar: Dandasana or Plank Pose – Helps in enhances sexual stamina & wellness,
- Step 3 of Surya Namaskar: Hasta Padasana – Helps in enhancing the blood circulation, and
- Step 7 of Surya Namaskar: Bhujangasana – Helps in enhancing the wellness of the reproductive organs
If you are curious to know, here are a few frequently asked questions,
How many calories does 50 Surya Namaskar burn?
50 rounds of Surya Namaskar takes about 175 minutes (approx) to complete and its benefits in burning 700 Calories (approx)
How many calories are you burning in your 30-minutes of Surya Namaskar?
30 minutes of Surya Namaskar helps you in burning about 200 to 400 calories depending upon the pace of the workout and other factors
Is it good to do Surya namaskar everyday?
Yes, absolutely! 10 minutes of Surya Namaskar every day, helps in bringing body and mind together along with all the benefits mentioned.
What is the best time to do Surya Namaskar?
The best time to do Surya Namaskar would be in the morning and performing Surya Namaskar before or during sunrise would be highly beneficial. Here are the benefits of practicing Surya Namaskar in the early morning.
Can girls do Surya Namaskar?
Yes, absolutely! Here are the benefits for ladies or girls practicing Surya Namaskar.
Should we do Surya Namaskar fast or slow?
Surya Namaskar when practiced at fast pace aids weight loss. When it is practiced at a slow pace it helps you in improving flexibility. Depending upon the requirement, it can be practiced at a slow or fast pace.